Welcome to Village of Cobb
Iowa County, Wisconsin
The Village of Cobb was incorporated in 1902 and was named for General Amoss Cobb, a lawyer by profession and District Attorney of Iowa County, eventually becoming state senator. General Cobb made frequent visits to the village where he earned the respect of the citizens and eventually the authorities renamed the village Cobb. Prior to being named Cobb, the village was designated as Cross Plains, Danville, the Village of Eden and eventually Cobb.
The railroad came thru Cobb in 1880 with the depot being built in 1881. The bank was organized in 1910, and the Cobb Canning factory was built in 1923 with its first canning season being 1924.
The first school was held in the village hall in 1868. A new two story grade school was erected in 1882 which housed students from elementary through high school. This school was located in the present Village Park, but unfortunately burned down in 1937. The new Cobb School was built in 1938. In August of 1960 the surrounding schools joined to become Iowa-Grant High School. The Cobb School remained as an elementary school for the community children until 1991 when Iowa-Grant Elementary/Middle school was opened.